DETROIT – Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced Monday that Deangelo Martin will face charges in the murders of four women on Detroit’s east side.
Martin, 34, of Detroit, already faces four counts of criminal sexual conduct and one count of assault with intent to murder in a separate case.
The killings sparked fears in early June throughout metro Detroit and a door-to-door dragnet for other victims who might have been left in abandoned homes and a killer who police said targeted women in their 50s.
Social media rumors had circulated since mid-May that there was a serial killer in downtown Detroit, but the police department repudiated them, saying “there is false information circulating” and “this is not true.”
The victim in the sexual assault case is 26 years old, younger than the women who were slain. She was stabbed and sexually assaulted at 1:40 a.m. May 7 but got away.
GM workers strike: What car shoppers need to know
World: Fire at school building kills at least 27 people in Liberia
Since then, investigators have sought to connect Martin to other crimes, including the deaths of Nancy Harrison, 52; Trevesene Ellis, 53; and Tamara Jones, 55, whose bodies were found this year in vacant houses.
Martin is charged with first-degree murder and third-degree sexual assault in the deaths of Harrison, Ellis and Jones. He also faces a murder and sex assault charge in the case of Annetta Nelson, 57, whose body was also found in a vacant house.
Authorities said he was spotted last year with a woman who disappeared.
The bodies were found June 5, March 19 and May 24.
Martin is set to be arraigned Wednesday in Detroit.
Follow Frank Witsil on Twitter: @fwitsil